❌

Normal view

Italy says it won’t take orders from Spain on border checks

7 August 2026 at 18:10

GROSSETO, Italy β€” The Italo-Spanish clash on border controls is escalating.

Italy on Friday said it has no intention of suspending border checks on travelers from Spain, β€œa friendly country,” and rebuffed Madrid’s threats to retaliate if Rome maintains the emergency measures it instituted in response to the mass arrival of migrantsΒ in the Spanish exclave Ceuta last week.

β€œItaly does not accept ultimatums or demands from abroad regarding national security and border control,” the Office of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni wrote in a statement.

Earlier in the day, the Spanish government had threatened to take β€œproportional measures” if Rome did not stop its reintroduced border checks and temporary suspension of the Schengen Agreement by Aug. 9.

In its statement, Rome said it would keep these controls in place β€œat least until August 15 and, in any case, until security and terrorism risks to Italy can be completely ruled out,” adding that a new β€œmigratory wave” is expected in Ceuta on that date.

β€œOnly when it is certain that there will be no security or terrorism risks for Italy, that there will be no new wave and that there are no irregular migrants heading toward European territory will it be possible to reconsider what has already been decided,” said the document.

❌