Normal view

A new rival is forcing Italy’s Meloni back to her far-right roots

10 August 2026 at 04:00

PISA, Italy — Giorgia Meloni doesn’t want to be beaten at her own game.

With an election approaching next year and a new far-right rival emerging, the Italian prime minister — whose political origins lie in Italy’s post-fascist right — is putting aside the moderate image she has built over her four years in office and hardening her tone on migration and security.

Meloni’s government was the first in the EU to attack the Spanish government over a sudden influx of migrants from Morocco into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta last week. 

While France and other countries tightened border checks, Italy went further and announced it had suspended the EU’s free-movement Schengen agreement with Madrid. Now, in Italian airports, passengers from Spain are asked to join a different line. 

Meloni’s office has made clear it has no intention of lifting the controls until at least Aug. 15, escalating the clash with Spain, which retaliated by imposing checks on travelers from Italy.

“We will not back down one millimeter on illegal immigration,” Meloni posted on X while her allies attacked the socialist Spanish government, accusing it of failing to manage migration flows. “Defending our borders, stopping human traffickers, and ensuring effective repatriation will continue to be this government’s policy,” she added.

The clash with Spain is just the latest sign that the Italian leader is doing all she can to secure her core, hard-right electorate in the face of a challenge from the right by Roberto Vannacci, a former general and member of the European Parliament.

With an election expected as early as next spring, Vannacci’s far-right National Future party has been advancing in the polls, overtaking one of Meloni’s coalition partners, the far-right League party, and gaining on another, Forza Italia, according to POLITICO’s Poll of Polls

For Meloni, who began her political career in the youth wing of Italy’s post-fascist movement, the challenge strikes particularly close to home.

“There is no doubt that there is concern about containing the competition from National Future,” said Marco Tarchi, a leading right-wing political scientist. “It all boils down to a sharpening of tone. The issues — security, immigration, identity — remain the same as before.” 

During the electoral campaign that brought her to power in 2022, Meloni promised to crack down on illegal migration by putting in place a naval blockade off Italy’s coast. Though that project never ultimately happened, Meloni’s government did open detention hubs in Albania to house migrants while their asylum applications are processed. 

Vannacci, who is campaigning on security and a hard line on immigration, is calling for a more radical solution: “remigration” — a yet-to-be-detailed plan to encourage migrants to return to their countries of origin.

The crisis in Ceuta, during which tens of thousands of migrants crossed from Morocco into the Spanish exclave and nearly 100 died, provided Meloni with an opportunity to show that fighting irregular migration remains an absolute priority for her government.

Roberto Vannacci sings the national anthem during a rally in Genoa, Italy on July 11, 2026. | Emanuela Zampa/Getty Images

Meloni’s reaction was “purely the result of domestic political calculations,” said Giorgio Gori, a member of the European Parliament from the left-wing Democratic Party. The Italian prime minister is trying to secure her electorate “by showing that she is loyal to the right-wing slogan and propaganda on migration and beyond.”

For Giovanni Orsina, director of the political science department at Rome’s Luiss Guido Carli University, Meloni’s priority at this stage is “that the Brothers of Italy [Meloni’s party] doesn’t start losing votes too” — in preparation for a potential alliance with Vannacci before or after next year’s election.

“Vannacci has been growing a lot in polls, especially over the past two months,” said Lorenzo Pregliasco from the YouTrend polling firm, noting that National Future is polling at over 7 percent

“Without Vannacci, the center-right could lose the upcoming election,” he said. “These seven points matter a lot.”

The Vannacci effect

Nicola Procaccini, Meloni’s lieutenant and co-chair of the European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR) group, denies that Meloni is shifting on policy to protect herself from Vannacci.

“She stands where she has always stood,” he told POLITICO. “She simply isn’t the racist, xenophobic fascist she was made out to be when she first took office. And she isn’t one now, either.” 

Meloni is also facing a challenge to her support for Ukraine, with both the League and Vannacci advocating a softer line on Moscow, opposing military aid to Kyiv and arguing against an increase in defense spending. 

Though Meloni has portrayed herself as a strong backer of Ukraine, her reliance on the League for support has meant Italy has contributed just €3 billion in four years, roughly the equivalent of €1 a month for every Italian citizen, less than the cost of an espresso.

Italy has also declined to join NATO’s PURL (Prioritized Ukraine Requirements List), an arms-buying scheme set up last summer after U.S. President Donald Trump ended new military aid commitments to Kyiv.

Ukraine is where Meloni’s real difference with Vannacci lies, argued Tarchi, who teaches at the University of Florence and is considered the key figure of a movement called the New Right.

“Otherwise, the gap is artificially exaggerated in rhetoric and posturing for tactical reasons,” he said.

Meloni’s allies haven’t ruled out an alliance with Vannacci but they stress that the possibility will depend on where he stands on key values such as foreign policy.

If he seeks “to position Italy, alongside Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea, clearly, it is not possible to stand together,” said Procaccini. “If, instead, he chooses the West — the democracies, Western nations, Western liberal democracies — then we can certainly stand together.”

Italy says it won’t take orders from Spain on border checks

7 August 2026 at 18:10

GROSSETO, Italy — The Italo-Spanish clash on border controls is escalating.

Italy on Friday said it has no intention of suspending border checks on travelers from Spain, “a friendly country,” and rebuffed Madrid’s threats to retaliate if Rome maintains the emergency measures it instituted in response to the mass arrival of migrants in the Spanish exclave Ceuta last week.

“Italy does not accept ultimatums or demands from abroad regarding national security and border control,” the Office of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni wrote in a statement.

Earlier in the day, the Spanish government had threatened to take “proportional measures” if Rome did not stop its reintroduced border checks and temporary suspension of the Schengen Agreement by Aug. 9.

In its statement, Rome said it would keep these controls in place “at least until August 15 and, in any case, until security and terrorism risks to Italy can be completely ruled out,” adding that a new “migratory wave” is expected in Ceuta on that date.

“Only when it is certain that there will be no security or terrorism risks for Italy, that there will be no new wave and that there are no irregular migrants heading toward European territory will it be possible to reconsider what has already been decided,” said the document.

Madrid threatens retaliation if Italy keeps border controls on travelers from Spain

7 August 2026 at 14:28

Spain warned Italy on Friday it will take “proportional measures” if Rome does not end border controls on travelers from Spain by Aug. 9, escalating the dispute triggered by last week’s mass arrival of unauthorized migrants in the Spanish exclave of Ceuta.

Italy reintroduced border controls with Spain on Aug. 1, temporarily suspending the Schengen Agreement allowing passport-free travel across 29 European countries — a measure Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani called a “necessary choice to safeguard the security of our citizens and defend European borders.”

“The measure adopted by the Italian government is unjust, contrary to the interests of the EU and discriminatory toward the Spanish population,” the Spanish government wrote in a statement blasting Rome for its “unprecedented” decision.

In addition to slamming Rome for imposing border controls that inconvenienced thousands of passengers by creating legal uncertainty in the middle of the summer holiday season, Madrid also took Italy to task for criticizing Spain’s handling of migrants while failing to protect its own borders.

Even though “Italy is the EU member state that has recorded the highest number of irregular crossings in recent years, with figures that have at times been twice those of Spain … Spain has never introduced controls on travelers from Italy,” the Spanish government said.

Madrid has now given the Italian government two days to either lift the border controls or face reciprocal measures that aim to “protect the interests and dignity” of Spanish citizens.

“Governments should work to promote understanding between countries and serve the general interests of their populations, rather than create divisions and pointless conflicts driven by domestic electoral considerations,” the statement said.

“We trust that Europeanism, common sense and good faith will prevail.”

Ukraine becomes fault line in Italy’s next election

4 August 2026 at 15:50

Former Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, who leads the left-wing 5Star Movement, set off a political firestorm this week by casting doubt on further military aid to Ukraine if the center-left wins the next election.

Conte’s comments exposed deep divisions over Ukraine within the left as it prepares for a general election next year. POLITICO’s Poll of polls shows 5Stars and the center-left Democratic Party are neck-and-neck with the right-wing bloc led by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, and Italian public opinion shows little support for aid to Ukraine.

In an interview with Italy’s La Stampa, Conte said his party initially backed military aid for Kyiv “because there was a clear military imbalance compared to Russia,” but now that Ukraine “has a highly equipped military arsenal,” he said his party will “continue to abstain from voting in favor of further shipments but to push for a shift toward negotiations.”

The final decision on whether to continue sending aid to Ukraine, Conte said, should be determined by a primary of left-wing voters, who will be asked to decide on who leads the coalition into the next election. “We’ll unravel this knot with the primaries. We’ll let Italians decide,” he said.

Conte emphasized that the main objective is to reach a negotiated solution to the war by talking to both Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Russian leader Vladimir Putin.

“Does Putin not want to negotiate? Let’s sit down and talk; let’s see what happens,” said Conte, underlining that any peace deal has to protect Kyiv’s interests.

Giuseppe Conte and Volodymyr Zelenskyy before a meeting at Palazzo Chigi back in 2020 in Rome, Italy. | Antonio Masiello/Getty Images

The 5Stars leader also opposes increasing defense budgets — a key promise by Meloni to bring Italy in line with NATO’s new spending target.

But Conte’s words opened an immediate divide with the Democratic Party, which is the biggest grouping on the center-left.

Party leader Elly Schlein on Monday rejected the idea of Ukraine policy being set in a primary vote. “It doesn’t work that way. First comes the program agreed upon by the entire alliance, and then the primaries, because whoever wins them must lead the entire coalition, not just their own party,” she said.

Schlein is expected to compete with Conte over leading the center-left.

Lorenzo Guerini, a former defense minister and one of the leaders of the Democratic Party, on Tuesday warned Conte: “If he splits the broad coalition, he’ll bear the responsibility. We support Ukraine by sending weapons. The PD will support Kyiv.”

Military aid to Ukraine is a “nonnegotiable issue. Period,” he said. 

But Ukraine divides the country’s right as well. Meloni’s current coalition partners in the right-wing League are uneasy about supporting Ukraine and also balk at boosting the defense budget.

Still, that didn’t stop top government figures from lambasting Conte over Ukraine.

“Conte is free to side with Russia, the aggressor. Maybe he should ask his ally, the PD, if they agree,” said Deputy Prime Minister and Forza Italia Secretary Antonio Tajani. “Let the Italian left tell us whether it stands with the Ukrainian people or with Putin. Whether it stands with democracy or with dictatorships,” he added.

While support for Ukraine is creating problems for both Italy’s left and the right, the country’s next election could come as soon as spring.

If Meloni falls short of being able to form the next government after the election, she could broaden her coalition to include the far-right National Future party led by former Gen. Roberto Vannacci — but his grouping also opposes military aid to Ukraine.

Italy has deep pacifist roots, and Meloni’s strong support for Ukraine is at odds with public opinion.

Italians are the least likely to support Ukraine among major West European countries, with a YouGov survey earlier this year finding that only 32 percent of Italians care if it wins against Russia.

Italian military aid for Ukraine comes to only 0.17 percent of GDP, one of the lowest levels in Europe, according to the Kiel Institute’s Ukraine Support Tracker.

Machthaber: Giorgia Meloni

1 August 2026 at 10:00

Wer regiert die Welt – und was treibt sie an? In unserem regelmäßigen Machthaber-Spezial geht es um die mächtigsten und umstrittensten Politikerinnen und Politiker unserer Zeit. Wir zeigen, wie sie denken, entscheiden – und was das für uns bedeutet. Eine Politikerin oder Politiker, ein Blick hinter die Kulissen der Macht.

Das Berlin Playbook als Podcast gibt es jeden Morgen ab 5 Uhr. Gordon Repinski und das POLITICO-Team liefern Politik zum Hören – kompakt, international, hintergründig.

Für alle Hauptstadt-Profis: Der Berlin Playbook-Newsletter bietet jeden Morgen die wichtigsten Themen und Einordnungen. ⁠Jetzt kostenlos abonnieren.⁠

Mehr von Host und POLITICO Executive Editor Gordon Repinski:
Instagram: ⁠@gordon.repinski⁠ | X: ⁠@GordonRepinski⁠.

POLITICO Deutschland – ein Angebot der Axel Springer Deutschland GmbH
Axel-Springer-Straße 65, 10888 Berlin
Tel: +49 (30) 2591 0
⁠information@axelspringer.de⁠
Sitz: Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 196159 B
USt-IdNr: DE 214 852 390
Geschäftsführer: Carolin Hulshoff Pol, Mathias Sanchez Luna

❌