Normal view

Greece sabotages its own plans to reverse the brain drain of scientists

18 August 2026 at 04:02

ATHENS — Greece’s attempt to lure top scientists back to their homeland after the trauma of the financial crisis has stalled after an ambitious program to reverse the brain drain descended into fiasco.

A group of professors who hoped to bring back young researchers through a much-advertised program financed with EU funds are now feeling betrayed, having been left waiting for years only to find out the program won’t happen.

To rub salt into the wound, no one from the government bothered to inform them that the scheme was dead, they said.

“All this ‘brain gain’ talk isn’t just a joke; it’s a massive step backward,” Aristides Hatzis, a professor at the University of Athens, said. “During the financial crisis, there was only one area where there was money invested: research, as the EU prioritized this. Now there’s nothing; it’s at the very bottom of the list of priorities — a complete abandonment.”

An estimated 500,000 people moved abroad during Greece’s financial crisis, which began in 2008, shrinking the country’s economy by a quarter and driving unemployment to 28 percent. Greece had experienced mass migration before, including in the decades after World War II, but this time it was many citizens with high levels of education and skills who emigrated.

“Brain Regain,” an initiative by the ruling conservative New Democracy government to reverse the mass exodus of scientists and professionals, comprises several schemes, such as offering a 50 percent income tax exemption for seven years, and is expanding to include high-skilled public sector roles.

And overall, the situation has improved since the crisis era.

According to the survey OECD Diaspora Review Greece, from 2021 onward, there has been a steady increase in the number of citizens returning to Greece, with 2023 marking a milestone year when — for the first time since the start of the crisis — more people returned than left. Specifically, during the two-year period of 2023–2024, 69,000 Greeks left their country while 98,000 returned.

But when it comes to scientists, there is still a major problem.

Star-crossed project

The current fury of many researchers and scientists hinges on a Greek government project called “Trust your Stars” — an €80 million research funding program backed by funds from EU’s post-Covid recovery fund, the Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF).

Research teams were called to submit their proposals, with 145 out of a total 1,241 submissions selected. Thirteen months later, after several complaints regarding the delay, the selected list of projects was finally published on July 22, 2025.

Then, it all started to unravel.

A man walks outside the headquarters of bank of Greece during a demonstation against government’s austerity measures in central Athens. | Aris Messinis/AFP via Getty Images

Those not selected for funding reacted fiercely, with some 203 submitted objections and calls for reevaluation. Scientists raised their concerns over the evaluation process itself, and some even submitted complaints to the European Public Prosecutor’s Office.

In January 2026, Greece’s development ministry then issued a statement, saying payments of some €40 million had already been made, and that the remaining half of the program’s budget was earmarked for completion by Dec. 31, 2029. But complaints only escalated, with some of those selected for funding sending formal legal notices to the education ministry, seeking details about where the money had been spent since the program had not yet started.

Then, the final bombshell dropped: Trust your Stars was not going to receive the EU funds anymore.

In a statement published in May, Greece’s education ministry said the country’s finance ministry had decided to “remove the project during the review of Greece’s National Recovery and Resilience Plan.” It was later revealed that on the day the list of selected proposals was officially published, the government also delisted the program — but no one informed the applicants for 10 months.

“It was ultimately not possible to implement the project ‘Trust your Stars’ within the time frame set out by the RRF,” said an official from the education ministry. “For this reason, the project was removed, as part of a review of the National Recovery and Resilience Plan by the Council of the European Union.”

“As regards the funds linked to the actions in question, these were redirected to finance other actions undertaken by the RRF and the Education Ministry. Consequently, under no circumstances was there any loss of resources from the RRF,” added the official.

Shattered hopes

On July 15, Greece’s finance ministry issued a statement, saying it was trying to secure funds “to settle any outstanding financial obligations arising from legal commitments entered into at the time of the revocation of the program.”

While the statement rekindled hopes that a solution would be found, Hatzis argues that it was just a legal trick and that the education ministry has no legal commitment since no contracts were signed following the initial announcement of accepted proposals.

“What happened violates a fundamental principle, one that is sacrosanct in states governed by the rule of law: ‘reliance,’ the citizen’s legitimate trust in the state,” he said. “There may be no contractual liability, since we did not sign an agreement, but there is a political, moral and even legal obligation. Many young people turned down other offers or did not take up jobs elsewhere because they hoped they would be paid through the program.”

Hatzis added that with its handling of the situation, the government had managed to turn the entire scientific community against it — both those who had been successful and those who had not.

“If you’re a young scientist and you’re abroad, stay there! If you’re a young scientist and you’re thinking of moving abroad, go for it. Don’t wait a minute!” he wrote in a lengthy social media post.

Pantelis Kammas, an associate professor at the Athens University of Economics and Business who was co-leading one of the teams that had a successful proposal, said the program was a chronicle of a death foretold.

“The perception within the scientific community was that this was EU money and that it could be handed out hastily through nontransparent procedures. There was a sense of mistrust because this was a one-off emergency program,” said Kammas. “The ministry lacked an organized framework for evaluation, the academic community’s objections were based on these well-known shortcomings, and media that seek to oppose the government jumped on that. This was the perfect storm, so the government decided to backtrack and cancel the program.”

Petros Bouras-Vallianatos, an associate professor of the history of science at the University of Athens, said he had gathered a team of 25 young scientists to come to Greece from countries like the U.K. and Germany for a study of medicines used during the Byzantine period, which could serve as inspiration for new pharmaceutical formulations. Fortunately, they had not already traveled by the time the project was canceled.

“The most offensive thing is that the government never bothered to meet us or give us a reasonable explanation about what happened,” he said, noting the government’s handling created even greater problems with the scientific community than those that already existed.

Bouras-Vallianatos himself returned to Greece in 2022 after a 15-year career in Edinburgh, and has not regretted the decision, as he wanted to raise his children in his homeland. However, he added that while many others wanted to return to Greece, the conditions for doing so were not in place. Some of them do but only for sentimental, personal reasons, he said.

“There has been no serious policy by the Greek state to get its scientists back.”

According to preliminary statistics, research spending in Greece has declined, dropping to €1.27 billion — or 0.51 percent of GDP — in 2025, from €1.30 billion in 2024.

“Funding and low salaries is a big issue,” continued Bouras-Vallianatos. “An independent body should be set up, which would allocate funds for research and adheres to international standards in terms of evaluation. We are a small country; we all know each other, so a large proportion of the evaluators should be foreigners.”

UK approves its second weight-loss pill while EU access lags

10 August 2026 at 17:53

The U.K.’s medicines regulator approved Eli Lilly’s weight-loss pill on Monday, marking a first European license for the company’s drug.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency authorized Foundayo (orforglipron) for weight management and type 2 diabetes, and is the “first regulator in Europe” to approve the drug. In the EU, a decision is not expected until next year.

Foundayo is Lilly’s first oral form of the popular GLP-1 drug class, which has surged in popularity with demand fueled by the backing of celebrities and influencers. Its injectable drug Mounjaro (tirzepatide) had been riding this wave.

However, with the arrival of the first GLP-1 pill Wegovy (semaglutide) from Danish competitor Novo Nordisk — which launched in the U.S. and U.K. this year and is soon expected in some EU countries — demand for the more-convenient tablet is expected to rise.

Novo Nordisk has been attempting to reach as many patients as possible with its pill to capture market share, said CEO Mike Doustdar last week.

Doustdar also said the company would soon launch in Germany at its chosen price, ignoring pressure from the U.S. administration to raise prices in Europe.

Washington has been pressuring EU countries to pay more for medicines to offset pharma revenue losses from lower U.S. drug prices. The U.K. is the only country to agree to pay more for medicines via a bilateral deal with the U.S.

Foundayo’s arrival in the U.K. will initially provide competition in the private market.  A decision on whether the National Health Service will cover the pill is not expected until Nov. 18, and will be made by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.

EU health plans on ice as capitals dispute budget

5 August 2026 at 18:12

Many EU-funded health projects are on hold amid a dispute between the European Commission and capitals over support for NGOs.

At least seven countries, led by France, Spain and Belgium have twice blocked the Commission’s 2026 EU health budget proposal because they say it doesn’t contain sufficient funding for health NGOs. These organizations represent patients, doctors and public health workers in EU health policy debates, typically in opposition to sectors like tobacco, alcohol and, sometimes, the pharmaceutical industry.

The standoff means public tenders and grant applications for EU health projects — such as training more experts to assess medicines, beefing up health security and creating artificial intelligence platforms to monitor brain health — can’t yet go ahead.

“Various stakeholders have expressed frustration over the delay” as they are already putting together consortiums to bid for projects included in the draft budget, a spokesperson for Public Health Sweden told POLITICO.

The delay also has major implications for the EU’s health crisis response.

The Commission’s Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Authority published its work plan in June for the coming year, which includes the expansion of ‘ever-warm’ vaccine production facilities and the creation of a new European Diagnostics Hub to develop cutting-edge technologies — all of which is on hold until the money can flow, unless covered by funds under the 2025 budget.

European Commission spokesperson Eva Hrncirova declined to comment on the potential disruption to the EU’s health program, but told POLITICO the executive would “reflect” on the way forward. 

Root cause

The standoff stems from the Commission’s decision to ax operating grants for NGOs, confirmed in July 2025. These had been in place in Europe since the early 1990s to enable civil society to participate in policymaking on a more equal footing with profit-driven entities.

The Commission told POLITICO the grants were cut to reflect diminished funds for EU4Health after the budget fell from €5.8 billion to €4.6 billion in 2025 to reallocate funds for Ukraine. Health Commissioner Olivér Várhelyi also previously claimed behind closed doors that NGO operating grants were “illegal.”

When countries voted on the Commission’s second proposal last week — which offered €1.3 million in NGO operating grants, having omitted them altogether from its original plan — at least 14 countries voted in favor of the plan, citing the urgent need for a budget.

“The Public Health Agency of Sweden voted yes and we seconded the criticism that came from the other countries on funding for civil society, but saw that further delays in the work programme were not preferable,” the spokesperson for the Swedish public health authority said in a written comment.

But countries standing firm with NGOs worry that ending support for their day-to-day functions will weaken democratic policymaking and leave lobbying as a preserve of private interests. Some NGOs have already shuttered operations in Brussels over the lack of funds.

Health Commissioner Olivér Várhelyi previously claimed behind closed doors that NGO operating grants were “illegal.” | Thierry Monasse/Getty Images

Spain and France have been the most vocal in their criticism, forming a blocking minority on the EU4Health Programme Committee that signs off on the budget, alongside Czechia, the Netherlands, Lithuania and Malta. Others, including Ireland and Luxembourg, abstained to signal their displeasure with the removal of NGO funds. 

NGOs play “a vital role in representing patients’ interests and ensuring a balanced policy debate alongside well-resourced industry stakeholders,” a spokesperson for Malta’s ministry of health told POLITICO.

A joint statement read out on behalf of Belgium, Czechia, France, Luxembourg, Spain and the Netherlands at the July 31 meeting, and seen by POLITICO, called for “more adequate level of funding for operating grants while safeguarding other low-budget but high-impact actions from further reductions.”

They argue the Commission is at fault for the impasse and ignored multiple warnings from countries that they would not accept the defunding of civil society groups. 

“Several Member States have raised the same concerns for two years, but these have not been adequately reflected. At the same time, the delay increases pressure from stakeholders to approve the programme regardless of those concerns, because important public-health actions and considerable expert work are involved,” a spokesperson for Luxembourg’s Ministry of Health and Social Security, which abstained in support of NGOs, said in a written comment.

‘Symbolic’ offering

The blocking countries didn’t put a figure on how much they wanted for NGOs, but pointed out the €1.3 million on offer was one-seventh what it was in 2023 and 2024, before the grants were scrapped.

Cyprus was among the countries ready to accept the latest proposal, with the country’s ministry of health telling POLITICO it “viewed positively the efforts made to address concerns regarding NGO funding and welcomed the allocation of dedicated funding.”

But Milka Sokolović, director general of the European Public Health Alliance, said the Commission should ensure the grants “provide meaningful support rather than a symbolic contribution.”

“Budget constraints are real, but so is the need to sustain the organizations that bring expertise, accountability and public engagement to Europe’s health ambitions,” Sokolović said.

The Commission has also angered countries with how late in the year it is seeking approval for the work program, combined with what they see as insufficient consultation in the run-up to the vote.

The Luxembourg ministry spokesperson said the Commission “traditionally” prepared the work program a year in advance. “This gave authorities and potential beneficiaries a reasonable indication of forthcoming priorities and call dates. For both the 2025 and 2026 programs, however, the first drafts reached Member States much later, reducing predictability for all concerned.”

Speaking for the Commission, Hrncirova said countries had been consulted. “In line with the EU4Health regulations and its procedures for the preparation, member states are consulted at several stages with several meetings. This has happened,” she said.

The Commission hasn’t yet scheduled another meeting to try to get a budget over the line. “We are now awaiting the invitation to the next EU4Health Programme Committee for the, hopefully, final meeting for the 2026 work programme,” the spokesperson for the Public Health Agency of Sweden said.

“At this stage, the matter is in the hands of the European Commission,” the Maltese spokesperson added.

❌