Normal view

Reverse Megxit: 5 awkward questions as Harry and Meghan plot British return

20 August 2026 at 13:02

LONDON —Megxit — the departure of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex from the U.K. five years ago — sparked criticism, fanfare, and many, many newspaper headlines. Now they’re coming back.

The Telegraph and the Sun reported Monday night that the pair will return to England at the end of the month, and live in a private residence outside London with their two young children, who will start school in September.

The couple — whose decisions have often been the subject of political debate, and whose break with the Royal family sparked broader questions about the future of the British monarchy — cannot expect a quiet return.

POLITICO runs through the awkward questions their homecoming poses.

Will they take up Royal duties again?

Harry and Meghan have made clear they are not returning as official working Royals. They stepped back from those roles in January 2020, more than a year before they permanently moved to the U.S.

There was some debate over whether the pair could have a “half-in, half-out” approach to Royal engagements — taking up commercial opportunities at the same time as representing the family — but the late Queen Elizabeth II made it clear before her death that she did not support that approach.

A person holds a smartphone displaying Netflix’s Meghan Markle show in front of a TV screen showing footage of the show, in Los Angeles, California on March 4, 2025. | Chris Delmas/AFP via Getty Images

When they move back to the U.K., Meghan will continue running her lifestyle brand As Ever, according to the Telegraph, and Harry will likely continue his charity work.

Will UK taxpayers foot the bill for their security?

Harry previously cited a long-running row over his family’s security as one reason why he would not feel safe returning to the U.K.

When the Duke of Sussex stepped down from his duties as a working royal and moved overseas, his security was downgraded. He unsuccessfully challenged this decision in the courts on multiple occasions.

The family has not been given taxpayer-funded security on previous visits, and U.K. officials will not comment on future security arrangements. The current cost of providing security to the Royal family is not public for reasons of national security.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “The UK Government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate.

The Thames Valley Police Joint Operations Dog Unit is seen in Windsor, England in April 2018, as security preparations get underway ahead of Harry and Meghan’s wedding. | Pool photo by Geoff Pugh via AFP/Getty Images

“It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security.”

Prime Minister Andy Burnham has also declined to comment on whether the government will assist the pair with their security costs, telling broadcasters their return is a “private matter.”

Will the couple’s critics chill out?

The couple sparked fierce criticism from U.K. politicians over their decision to leave for the U.S.

Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he tried to convince Prince Harry not to leave, and Reform UK leader Nigel Farage said in 2019 that the Duke of Sussex’s popularity had “fallen off a cliff” since meeting his wife.

U.K. politicians are yet to say exactly what they think of the Megxit reverse, but across the pond MAGA-aligned commentators are giving their two cents’ worth.

“They are moving back to Britain because they don’t like President Trump,” Katie Miller, the wife of White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller, said on X.

U.K. politicians may not be able to resist giving their view on the Royal return — particularly if questions over taxpayer-funded security or public-facing roles bubble up again.

How will Andy Burnham treat the Sussexes?

The British prime minister offered words of encouragement to Harry and Meghan during a visit a waste site to mark his first month in office Thursday.

“We wish them well in the move that they are making,” he told broadcasters Thursday.

In this photo illustration, British newspapers report on the High Court verdict in a case brought by Harry, in London on July 8, 2026. | Shane Anthony Sinclair/Getty Images

Burnham regularly meets King Charles III. His good political friend, Steve Rotherham, told PoliticsHome that he thinks Burnham is a “royalist.”

How will their relationship with the media play out?

It’s no secret that Prince Harry is not a fan of the British media.

He and his wife said it was one trigger for moving to the U.S. — where they subsequently signed multi-million-dollar deals for a Netflix show and a podcast series.

The Duke of Sussex is now dealing with the fallout of a major legal defeat after he and a number of high-profile claimants lost a High Court privacy case against the publisher of the Daily Mail.

After an 11-week trial, his claims were dismissed after racking up many millions in legal fees.

This story has been updated to include comments from U.K. Prime Minister Andy Burnham.

EU moves to ease subsidy rules for small media

19 August 2026 at 16:43

BRUSSELS — EU countries will be able to fund small local media without asking Brussels for permission, according to a draft of the bloc’s revised state aid rulebook obtained by POLITICO.

Government subsidies to businesses are strictly disciplined by Brussels under state aid rules, but there are exceptions. These are spelled out in frameworks, with the master one, the General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER), up for revision at the end of the year. 

The European Commission put out an initial draft for public consultation in February with a view to finalizing it by year’s end. The updated, 200-page draft gives a leg-up to local and independent journalism by allowing governments to fund small- and medium-sized outlets without formal vetting by Brussels.

“SMEs active in the press sector play an essential role in safeguarding media pluralism, cultural and linguistic diversity, democratic participation and citizens’ access to reliable information, particularly at local and regional level,” the Commission writes, highlighting structural challenges arising from the digital transformation of media markets.

To qualify for assistance, beneficiaries would need to fulfil at least one item in a Commission checklist that includes preserving media pluralism and diversity of opinion, transitioning to digital content while also preserving print editions. 

“The exemption covers aid pursuing cultural objectives — including linguistic diversity, the digitalization of press publications or the promotion of printed publications,” said Carole Maczkovics, of Counsel at Covington & Burling, of the press measures. 

Many European media outlets are struggling to stay viable, with print readership declining and publishers complaining that online platforms, such as search giant Google, are reducing referral traffic to their websites.

Broad scope

The GBER covers most sectors of the economy, from agriculture to transport, and is the target of intense lobbying from EU capitals, traditionally torn between big government spenders led by Germany and smaller member states, including the pro-free-trade Nordics, which complain that national subsidies distort the EU single market.

Countering the stereotype, Denmark was a leading advocate to extend GBER exemptions to the media. In a consultation response last year, the Danes said the state aid framework should be broadened to include private and public media providers “to promote harmonisation and simplify the general management of state aid in the media sector.”

The latest GBER draft focuses strongly on SMEs and innovation, as well as on the social dimension of state aid — as it expands on conditions for money that governments can put in training programs and the inclusion of disadvantaged workers. 

But it may not necessarily make things easier.

“Although the revision aims to simplify the State aid framework, it may ultimately make it more detailed and prescriptive,” warned Maczkovics. She added that the Commission’s gradual shift from broad aid categories to narrowly defined exemptions may sway EU countries to design measures that don’t quite fit the real needs of companies — for the sake of avoiding a notification.

Industry, for its part, is keeping a close eye on state aid exemptions, with airport lobby ACI Europe quick to react to the latest leak. 

“The revised GBER remains too restrictive for Europe’s smaller regional airports,” said Philippe Sacré, the association’s secretary general. He was referring to aid exemptions that would be restricted to airports handling over 500,000 passengers a year, according to the Commission’s draft. 

The Commission’s latest State aid Scoreboard shows that EU countries spent €168.2 billion in state aid in 2024, with Germany, France and Italy the top spenders. Capitals are increasingly taking advantage of block exemptions, with GBER representing close to 70 percent of all active exemption measures.

Tommaso Lecca contributed reporting.

❌